Eduwatch Urges Government to Review Sanctions Against Bolgatanga Girls SHS Abuse Victim
Education advocacy group says a 14-year-old girl allegedly sexually abused by two school watchmen should be protected—not punished through disciplinary measures

Date: August 20, 2026
By: Ebenezer Adugyamfi/ Emmanuel Ayiku for GhanaianNewsCanada
Education advocacy organisation Africa Education Watch (Eduwatch) has called on the Ghana Education Service (GES) to immediately review disciplinary sanctions imposed on a 14-year-old student of Bolgatanga Girls Senior High School (BOGISS) who was allegedly sexually abused by two security guards on the school’s premises.
The organisation argues that the student should not suffer educational or disciplinary consequences for alleged sexual conduct involving adults, insisting that under Ghanaian law, the child must first and foremost be treated as a victim in need of protection.
The appeal follows the arrest and interdiction of two watchmen accused of sexually assaulting the student, who is reported to have special educational needs. The suspects are expected to face criminal charges as police investigations continue.
Eduwatch: “A child who is sexually abused must not be punished”
In a strongly worded statement, Eduwatch condemned the disciplinary action reportedly taken by the school against the student, describing it as inconsistent with child protection principles.
According to the organisation, a letter issued by Bolgatanga Girls SHS dated July 20, 2026, found the student “guilty of sexual misconduct” and withdrew her boarding status for one academic year.
The letter reportedly stated that dismissal would ordinarily have been the prescribed punishment but that the sanction was reduced because of the student’s medical condition.
Eduwatch says that decision must be independently reviewed.
“A child who is sexually abused must not be punished for the abuse,” the organisation said, insisting that responsibility for the alleged acts rests with the adults involved—not the child.
Timeline raises serious safeguarding questions
Beyond the disciplinary decision, Eduwatch has raised concerns about how the school handled the alleged abuse after it was first reported.
According to information available to the organisation, the alleged incidents began during the last week of June and continued into July 2026.
The student initially disclosed the alleged involvement of one security guard before later identifying a second suspect.
Eduwatch wants investigators to establish:
-
When the student first reported the alleged abuse.
-
Who received the initial disclosure.
-
What immediate protective measures were taken.
-
Whether the accused guards continued to have access to students after the complaint.
-
When the matter was referred to the Police, DOVVSU and other child protection agencies.
The organisation warns that if the child reported the first incident before subsequent alleged abuse occurred, any delay in responding could represent a serious safeguarding failure.
GES already interdicts two watchmen
The Ghana Education Service has already taken initial administrative action by interdicting the two security personnel while investigations continue.
In a statement, GES said preliminary reports indicate that the victim is a 14-year-old special needs student who is on medication and reportedly suffered a medical relapse on the day of the alleged incident.
The Service assured parents and the public that it is treating the matter with the utmost seriousness and pledged to apply the appropriate sanctions should the allegations be proven.
The two watchmen have been handed over to the Police for criminal investigation.
Child protection must come first
Eduwatch argues that Ghana’s child protection laws are clear: a child below the age of 16 cannot legally consent to sexual intercourse with an adult.
For that reason, the organisation says disciplinary processes should never portray a 14-year-old as a consenting participant in acts involving adults.
Instead, it believes the focus should be on determining how adults entrusted with protecting students allegedly gained access to a vulnerable child within a boarding school environment.
The advocacy group also cautioned against creating a situation where the victim loses access to boarding education because adults or institutional systems failed in their responsibility to protect her.
Call for independent safeguarding audit
Eduwatch is also demanding a comprehensive safeguarding audit of Bolgatanga Girls SHS.
The proposed review would examine staff recruitment and vetting procedures, supervision of security personnel, student safety protocols, access to restricted areas, reporting mechanisms and the implementation of child protection guidelines.
According to the organisation, the audit is necessary not only to establish accountability in the current case but also to prevent similar incidents from occurring in the future.
A case drawing national attention
The alleged abuse has sparked widespread concern across Ghana, with child rights advocates, educators and members of the public calling for justice for the victim.
The case has also renewed conversations about safeguarding in senior high schools, particularly the responsibility of educational institutions to respond swiftly when students report abuse.
As police investigations and court proceedings continue, Eduwatch says its priority remains the protection of the child’s dignity, identity and best interests.
The organisation insists that while the accused persons deserve a fair trial, the victim should never be treated as an offender for alleged abuse committed against her.




