African News

Mali village attack death toll revised down to 35

The number of people killed in an attack on a village in central Mali has been revised to 35, down from nearly 100, officials have said.

Monday’s attack happened in Sobame Da, inhabited by the Dogon ethnic group, in the Mopti region.

Officials initially said 95 people had been found dead, many with their bodies burned.

Now the government says that initial figure corresponded to the combined number of dead and disappeared.

There have been numerous attacks in Mali in recent months, some by jihadist groups, others between Dogon hunters and semi-nomadic Fulani herders.

Among the 35 who died were 24 children, the government said. Six people have been taken in for questioning, officials said.

Following the attack the justice minister announced an investigation and the UN peacekeeping mission in the country deployed a special human rights fact-finding mission to assist authorities.

Dogon villages often follow a traditional way of lifeImage caption: Dogon villages often follow a traditional way of life.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *